Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Monday 11 May 2015

Always a Work in Progress

When I started this blog I had some pretty firm ideas on what I wanted to do and say and review.  Well, best laid plans and all that.  I've learned like any other creative
(I hope) venture this blog will always be a work in progress.

1.  I've already changed my mind about posting reviews.  I hemmed and hawed and then decided ... YES!

So, I continued on reading my books and pondering what else I had to say that could possibly be of interest to anyone reading on here.  As I'm turning pages, every once in a while I read a sentence or a paragraph that makes me stop to go back and reread it.  Usually, by this point I'm thinking to myself "Wow, the author must have written that and then given him/herself a high five".  It could be something that tickles my funny bone at that moment, or something that stops me in my reading tracks and makes me think, or almost anything else.  When that happens I try to remember to include the quote in my review, but more often than not I end up maniacally flipping back through pages and pages of the book without finding the exact part I'm looking for.  I hate when that happens.

2.  I've decided I am going to try to be diligent and bookmark pages so I can use the quotes.  When I use a quote from a book just because it tickled my fancy, or stood out as special, or pulled a thread for me personally I'll put my little "Book Bytes" icon beside it.


I love it when characters in the books I am reading have a love of books.  I don't specifically search out books about books, although if there is a bookstore setting, a bookseller/librarian character or a plot-line about books there is a pretty good chance I am going to at least have a peek at it.

Sooooo ...

3.  Appearing every once in while, magically a "BOOK ON BOOKS" post will appear.  It will just be a random quote that appeared in a book that is about books.




No time like the present, so here's the first one in what I hope to be ongoing posts.

From "Kindred" by Octavia E. Butler

We never really moved in together, Kevin and I.  I had a sardine-can sized apartment on Crenshaw Boulevard and he had a bigger one on Olympic not too far away.  We both had books shelved and stacked and boxed and crowding out the furniture.  Together, we would never have fitted into either of our apartments.  Kevin did suggest once that I get red of some of my books so that I'd fit into his place.

"You're out of your mind!" I told him.

"Just some of that book-club stuff that you don't read."

We were at my apartment then, so I said, "Let's go to your place and I'll help you decide which of your books you don't read.  I'll even help you throw them out."

He looked at me and sighed, but he didn't say anything else.





No comments:

Post a Comment