Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Thursday 2 July 2015

My Favorite Reads - June 2015

DR. MUTTER’S MARVELS (A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine) by Cristin O’Keefe Aptowicz.

This book was an astounding recounting of this man’s remarkable life and achievements.  It is written in a conversational style and smoothly incorporates the politics, the medical practices and social beliefs of the time.  Ms. Aptowicz does a remarkable job.  I have no practical knowledge of medicine or surgical practices, and very little about Philadelphia during the late 1800’s yet I found this book easy to read and understand.  There is no other way to describe it other than utterly fascinating.  I believe it would appeal equally to fans of non-fiction historical accounts and those who may not read a lot of non-fiction but enjoy a fascinating story.  I find myself wondering why Dr. Mutter’s story is not more well-known?
Definitely five stars.  My complete review HERE.


THE MOUNTAIN STORY by Lori Lansens

“Dear Daniel, A person has to have lived a little to appreciate a survival story.  That’s what I’ve always said, and I promised that when you were old enough, I’d tell you mine.”

So begins the letter from a father to his son telling the story of Wolf Truly’s life and the five unforgettable days and nights he spent on the (always unnamed) Mountain.

My complete review HERE



FIFTEEN DOGS by Andre Alexis.  

So … two gods walk into a bar … sounds like the beginning of some really bad joke.  This book is no joke.  I can honestly say that when I turned the final page my first thought was that this book has easily made it onto my personal list of 5 Best Books EVER!  I realize that may have been a knee-jerk reaction because I could never really compose a list of FIVE BEST EVER, but if I had a list it would be a contender.  Is there a 7-star rating system somewhere?

My complete review HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment